Praying for Others
Praying for others—intercessory prayer—is a basic component of the Christian life. We do this for our family, our friends, and in response to disastrous or difficult situations in the world because we know that prayer works!
Prayer is the most powerful force known to humanity. Throughout the history of God’s relationship with His People, there have been men and woman who have “stood in the gap” and interceded for others before the Lord. This intercessory prayer is particularly important for Christians, who are called to offer their prayer, and indeed their whole selves, for the sake of the world.
Intercessory Prayer Tools
“Share Prayer” is an easy way to pray with and for someone in a simple and non-threatening manner. It takes some practice but once you have done it a couple of times you will find it to be a comfortable formula that you can use with family, friends, or with someone you have just met.
As you consider praying for others in your life, there are many different ways you can pray for them:
- Offer prayer for them at Mass – during the Opening Prayers, after receiving Communion, during the Prayers of the Faithful
- Pray out loud or silently from the heart.
- Pray a Rosary or Divine Mercy Chaplet – say the intention for each person at the beginning of a new decade.
- Pray for them during an Adoration Holy Hour
- Write down people’s names and pray for their needs daily.
- Place pictures of the people you are praying for somewhere near where you pray. Seeing their faces can motivate you to pray for them more specifically and more regularly.
Join the MBS Prayer Circle
Do you have a particular interest in praying for others? Do you often find yourself moved to pray for the needs all around you? Do you find that praying for others energizes you and stirs up your spirit?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, then you may be interested in joining our MBS prayer circle.
You’ll receive regular emails with specific prayer requests from both our parish community, and the wider community – all you have to do is pray!